[nsp] NSE-1 vs. NPE-400

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Mon Aug 11 18:40:28 EDT 2003

On Mon, 11 Aug 2003, Gert Doering wrote:

> You might also want to take the NPE-G1 into consideration.  That's a
> real great one - super fast, and comes with 3 onboard GigE interfaces.
>
> Caveat: requires 12.1E or 12.2S, but 12.2S is well-beahving for us.

We looked into this somewhat recently.  NPE-G1's are apparently much more
$ than say an NPE400...perhaps 2x as much IIRC.

Speaking of 12.2S...has anyone else had a 7200 running 12.2.14S3 start
dropping 50% icmp destined for the router?  We had one do this (CPU and
traffic loads were normal).  A reboot fixed it.  I then downgraded to
12.2.14S1, in the hope that it would not happen again...and it hasn't yet.