[nsp] policy-routing GRE tunnel packets

Alexander Bochmann bochmann at FreiNet.de
Wed Aug 20 16:55:26 EDT 2003

...on Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 05:47:00PM +0200, Alexander Bochmann wrote:

 > Theoretically, Tunnel1 packets should be subject to
 > the local policy route-map and be sent out via fa0/1 -
 > but, in policy routing debugging, nothing is showing
 > up right now

I've come to the conclusion that policy-routing the
GRE encapsulated Tunnel packets is not possible.
Obviously, the GRE encapsulation happens at some place
in the system where policy-routing doesn't have any
impact.
Other locally generated packets are policy-routed fine,
that that it should work in principle - but not the
GRE packets, although they have a source address that
should be subject to policy-routing when leaving the
system.

So, there's probably no other way than host-routing
the Tunnel destionations via the appropriate gateway,
as some people suggested...

Alex.