[nsp] RE: Semi Complex configuration (EoMPLS)

Mike Bernico mbernico at illinois.net
Fri Aug 22 14:09:23 EDT 2003

It's mostly the same thing.  In many versions of IOS inputting the
command "mpls ip" yields the configuration statement "tag-switching ip"
when you show run.

Tag Switching is what Cisco called MPLS before all the cool kids were
doing it.  If your 5500 RSM will only support tag-switching commands
you'll probably get along just fine.

The main thing to watch out for is a routers ability to support the
standards based LDP rather than Cisco's TDP.  LDP and TDP are the
signaling protocol used to trade labels (or tags) between routers.  If I
were deploying a new MPLS network I'd want to make sure I used LDP for
multi vendor support.  That will help when there is an MPLS bug in a
piece of hardware Cisco doesn't feel like fixing...

EoMPLS is good stuff.  I hope it works for you.  Just beware of MTU
issues.