[nsp] NM-DVB on Cisco Routers

Greenhalgh, John JGreenhalgh at newskies.com
Sat Aug 23 20:35:29 EDT 2003

Hi Mark,

Cisco bought a DVB IRD manufacture a few years back, but I don't think
anything came of it and as far as I know there are no DVB interface cards.
Usual practice is to use a third party DVB receiver. These are either Linux
boxes with DVB cards, or dedicated hardware boxes (often themselves based on
Linux). From the top of my head, brands include Broadlogic, Harmonic and
Ipricot. The latter tend to be more popular these days because they support
faster symbol rates. On our side (the operator teleport's side) we use third
party DVB encapsulators connected to routers via Ethernet (and usually with
a packet shaping device in between).

Regards,
John
New Skies Satellites