[nsp] DLSW explorer-wait-time

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Tue Aug 26 10:07:17 EDT 2003

Hi Danny,

interesting, a DLSW question on cisco-nsp ;-)

> Hello, Group.  This is for all you DLSW gurus out there.  With the
> explorer wait time for DLsw, if you have two peerings and you want to
> prefer one over the other to send data, will the lower explorer wait
> time be the preffered peer?  I think it is the lower wait time that
> is preffered. It think this because the router will connect to the
> one whose timer is configured to expire first.  Is my thinking
> correct?

the global "dlsw timer explorer-wait-time <sec>" command basically
defers the peer selection for <n> seconds to allow for all explorer
their cost. If you select your peers based on cost and your "primary"
peer usually responds later than the less-preferred peers, you want to
increase the explorer-wait-time. If you didn't, the first peer
responding would be selected, which might not be what you want.

So if you always want to prefer peer-a over peer-b, you can configure

dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp <peer-a> cost 2
dlsw remote-peer 0 tcp <peer-b> cost 4
dlsw timer explorer-wait-time 2

Another option would be to configure peer-b as a backup peer.

Take a look at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/ibsw/ibdlsw/tech/tadlt_rg.htm
(chapter "Advanced Features" and "Customization")

	oli