[nsp] ethernet flushes?

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Thu Aug 28 09:26:14 EDT 2003

Hi Steve,

> Hi there. I have a 7200 that drops packets under some load - the
> counter that is incrementing is "flushes"
> from a sho int:
> Input queue: 0/75/72728/1313224 (size/max/drops/flushes)
>
> Drops I know, but what are flushes?

flushes are packets dropped by SPD (Selective Packet Discard). As SPD
only kicks in for packets ending up in the IP input queue (i.e. process
switching), you either receive many packets for the router itself (i.e.
directed to one of the router's interface addresses), or you
process-switch your transit traffic. Please check "show int ... stat".

More information on SPD can be found at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/63/spd.html

	oli