[nsp] ip cef

James Galliford JamesG at corp.ptd.net
Mon Dec 1 16:46:30 EST 2003

Point definitely taken. =)

-----Original Message-----
From: Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) [mailto:oboehmer at cisco.com]
Sent: Monday, December 01, 2003 3:52 PM
To: James Galliford; Hugo
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: RE: [nsp] ip cef

> I believe that if the router does not have the route in its CEF table
> that it process switches the first stream and therefore you'll see the

> entry in the ip cache.  After the router knows the path and determines

> the optimum switching method, it will then create an entry in the CEF
> table for the path.  The path will then be invalidated from the route
> cache.
>
> This is to the best of my understanding of course.

But this is wrong ;-), you are basically describing fast switching. CEF
is not a demand-based cache, it is populated from the routing table.
When we try to CEF-switch a packet and there is no FIB entry for the
destination, the packet is dropped.

Hugo: you're possibly seeing entries in the fast cache for packets
processed by the CPU, including packets generated by the router itself.
Newer IOS releases also use CEF in the process path..

	oli