[nsp] ip verify unicast reverse-path confirmation?

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Thu Dec 4 21:46:41 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 04, 2003 at 04:02:00PM -0500, lee.e.rian at census.gov wrote:
> I think uRPF handling depends on the hardware
> - Sup 1: everything gets forwarded to the MSFC
> - Sup 2: handled in hardware

	Ok.

	Hold the phone here.

	Here's the scoop:

	sup1(a), u-rpf handled in software on the MFSC
	sup2, u-rpf is GLOBAL.  You set strict on one interface,
it sets strict on all interfaces that u-rpf is configured.  This
is quite different from all other cisco platforms.  BEWARE.  I've
seen people innocently break things by setting strict on an
interface and it changes an unrelated interface from loose
to strict.  This was a pain to track down since we were
looking at tacacs logs and couldn't find it.

	I can't remember what the sup3 (720) does off the top of
my head, I seem to recall asking cisco but not recalling the answer
I received.  Use caution.

	- Jared