[nsp] 7206VXR Random Reload

Andre Henry andre at go-net.com
Sat Dec 6 17:24:05 EST 2003

I have a 7206VXR NSE-1 with 256MB of DRAM that constantly reloads. The unit was working fine for over 1 year, then all of a sudden the reboots started. The only message IOS gives is "Last reset from power-on"

No configuration changes have been made, no hardware has been added and I cant detect any hardware problems. Each power supply is plugged into a different UPS and that router is the only one out of 4 that is rebooting. No PXF crash data, no other type of crash data. no errors on circuits. Traffic has been constant ~15MB in the s1/0 (PA-T3) and out fa0/0

I have changed IOS upgraded and downgraded, pulled the router apart and put it back together, I have even changed the IO/FE Controller. The only think left to do now is swap the NSE-1 with one from another router and see if that makes any difference.

If you have seen anything like this before please tell me what you did to fix it and what was the cause if you found it. I have 2 more of these machines and I would not want this to start happening on those systems.

Thanks,
Andre