[nsp] Cisco ATM switches

Vincent De Keyzer vincent at dekeyzer.net
Mon Dec 8 06:01:59 EST 2003

Douglas,

Answers in line:

> 1) You are looking to bridge Ethernet across ATM?
> 	- I know this can be done in the following methods:
> 		5500 w/dual phy boards
> 	- MPLS VPN
> 	- Possible dot1q aware 7200 with VPI/VCI matching/tagging.

Ethernet bridging across ATM is just one of the things we would like to do
with the new switches we need. We also have a DSL-like set-up where all the
customers are remotely connected on an ethernet port, and then RBEd on the
ATM interface of the Cisco where they end up as one VPI/VCI for each
customer.

> 2) I LMDS is wireless, no? Is there an midi/usb/fiber
> interface supplied with this wireless device?

Yes there is. But it's single-mode, that's our problem.

> 3) LS1010s are End of Lifed by Cisco, you should be aware of
> this. See the link below for information:
> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps1893/ps1891/
> index.html
> I have not seen 1DS3 interface.  Is there a real reason why
> you need the ls1010? Is this for bridging Eth over ATM?

No no, I just need an ATM switch with SM interfaces.

> 4) The 7200s are great for OC3s and OSPF. No problems here,
> you can run in either p-t-p, p-t-mp, bcast modes with the
> propper atm map statements.

What are those "proper statements"? Can you point me to an URL on CCO?

> 5) You might beable to accomplish all this using MPLS over
> ATM and have all work fine w/out the 1010s (works like a camp!).

That's interesting. But I am almost completely ignorant of MPLS...

Vincent