[nsp] Colo DC setup

Alexandre Snarskii snar at paranoia.ru
Tue Dec 9 07:50:02 EST 2003

On Mon, Dec 08, 2003 at 03:22:22PM +0000, Sven Huster wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to design a new network for our colo/dedicated server customers.
> What we are going to get will be most propably 2x 6500s for the
> core/distribution and 2950s for the access layer. So the customers servers
> will be connected to the 2950s which got 1 uplink to each of the 6500s
> running HSRP.
> The 6500s will also be connected to our upstream ISPs as well as peers
> running BGP.
> Guess the 6500s will run native IOS and the 2950 the EI.
>
> We got a /19 which is split into /24s where the customers servers are on.
>
> What I wanted to do then is to isolated the customers servers
> as much as possible with the option to enable communication were necessary.
>
> I read about PVLAN and protected ports but can really fit this together 100%.
>
> Can someone outline how-to configure the 6500s and the 2950s to work
> in the described setup, please?

Hi!

Unfortunately, private vlans on cat65xx and private vlan edge on 2950
are not compatible.
The best setup you can reach is that one:
Clients can't send any traffic to each other directly.
If they need to communicate - they can, but only with unicast traffic,
and, any packet between clients goes through your 6500.
Broadcast traffic from any client reaches only cat6500.

To set up this, you need:
on the cat65xx you must configure one vlan per each access switch.
then, configure vlan interface as:

in vlanXX
 ip address ...
 standby ....
 ip local-proxy-arp

Note the last command - this allows your 6500 to answer to broadcast
arp queries for the local network. So, if client A wants to send packet
to client B on the same vlan - it got arp reply from 6500, with 6500
mac address.

on the cat29xx you configuring ports as:

in fa 0/y
switchport mode access
switch acc vl XX
switchport protected (or port protected on 2924xl/3524xl)

uplink trunks configured just as usual:

in gi 0/x
 switch trunk enca dot
 switch mode trunk

- so, in this configuration trunk port is the only the packets from
protected ports may exit switch.