[nsp] Colo DC setup

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Tue Dec 9 11:59:03 EST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Terry Baranski wrote:

> So with that in mind, you may want to consider going with 3550s instead
> of 2950s.  A 3550 gives you full ACL/VACL functionality with the option
> of turning on layer-3 switching if it becomes desirable down the road.
> Much more flexible and scalable.

This is what I chose for our data center / colo facility.  We've got
7500's as the 2 main routers (one's a 7206vxr, but it's about to be
replaced with a 7507) doing HSRP, each with their own switch...then
numerous aggregation 3550's each connecting back to both of the "router
switches".  We run most of the 3550 ports in layer-3 mode (no switchport,
ip address blah) and let them propogate routing info back to the routers
via OSPF.  Where necessary, we run 3550 ports in switchport mode and setup
VLANs going back to subinterfaces on the routers.

One of the features that made us pick the 3550 was per-port traffic
policing...so when customers get infected with sql slammer or similar
junk, they can't melt the network.