[nsp] multiple port monitoring - switch sought

Peter Gutierrez peterg at nic.umass.edu
Wed Dec 10 09:15:08 EST 2003

gert at greenie.muc.de wrote:
> So what we really need is some sort of "multiplying device" that will
> just take all packets coming in from the left, and send it out to  (up
> to) 4 ports on the right.  Nothing will ever be received from the
> ports on the right, and nothing will ever be sent to the left.

You may want to investigate using a fiber tap/coupler/splitter instead
of a switch. Running ZX over a 30 Km span should leave a hot signal,
capable of being split. We use a Fiberdyne Labs. box to split our
outgoing feed (not ZX) in two, and they have up to six way splits, I
think. They have a full catalog of those and similar devices that may
meet your requirements. There are other vendors of similar equipment.

--
Peter Gutierrez  OIT/Network Services  U. Massachusetts Amherst
Voice: 413 545 1606   Fax: 413 545 3203    peterg at nic.umass.edu
Opinions?  "Ain't nobody's business but my own" - Irving Taylor