[nsp] HSRP problem

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Wed Dec 10 13:50:40 EST 2003

Roger wrote:
| I have two 7206vxr's which I'm attempting to setup w/ HSRP.
|
| On routerA I have the following setup - FYI the two routers can ping
| each others "real" ip address and both "real" ips reside on the same
| subnet and vlan.
|
| RouterA
| interface Port-channel1.1
| description etherchannel link with vlan1
| encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
| ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.240
| standby 1 ip <shared hsrp address>
| standby 1 priority 100
|
| RouterB
| interface Port-channel1.1
| description etherchannel link with vlan1
| encapsulation dot1Q 1 native
| ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.240
| standby 1 ip <shared hsrp address>
| standby 1 priority 90
|
| Afterwards a 'show standby' on routerA yields the following
|
| Port-channel1.1 - Group 1
| Local state is Active, priority 100
| Hellotime 3 sec, holdtime 10 sec
| Next hello sent in 2.016
| Virtual IP address is <hsrp address> configured
| Active router is local
| Standby router is <router_b ip>, priority 90 expires in 7.336
| Virtual mac address is 0000.0c07.ac01
| 2 state changes, last state change 00:13:15
| IP redundancy name is "hsrp-Po1.1-1" (default)
|
| and on routerB
|
| Port-channel1.1 - Group 1
| Local state is Standby, priority 90
| Hellotime 3 sec, holdtime 10 sec
| Next hello sent in 1.662
| Virtual IP address is <hrsp address> configured
| Active router is <router_a ip>, priority 100 expires in 7.540
| Standby router is local
| 1 state changes, last state change 00:10:19
| IP redundancy name is "hsrp-Po1.1-1" (default)
|
| After looking over the above commands I thought I was in business - I
| pinged the HSRP address from router_a and got no replies - same from
| router_b.
|
| I then looked at the arp tables on router_a
|
| Internet <hsrp ip> - 0000.0c07.ac01 ARPA Port-channel1.1
|
| The HSRP ip address WAS present in the arp table. From their I tried to
| ping the hsrp ip from various hosts on the network - still nothing.
| Afterwards a 'nmap -P0 209.94.42.100' to see if that hsrp ip responded
| at all to a port scan.. Still nothing...
|
| I've checked for obvious problems - typos and such. Still I'm coming up
| short.
| Suggestions?

Are you pinging from the routers themselves or another workstation?  Have
you turned on "debug ip icmp" to see if the packets are reaching the
routers?  Can you route through the routers using the HSRP address as the
default gateway even though you can ping them?  Is the MAC address of the
workstation you are using to ping the routers present in the ARP table?

- --
=========
bep