[nsp] HSRP problem

Robert Larsen robert.larsen at ntlworld.com
Thu Dec 11 03:52:23 EST 2003

There's also no reason why the virtual IP address (VIP) - or shared HSRP
address - cannot be the same as one of the physical interface IP addresses.
That way, you're not using up one extra IP address and you don't end up with
this routing problem.

As a side note, if one uses a non-Cisco router and is configuring VRRP, then
you will *not* be able to ping the VIP address - this is in accordance with
RFC 2338.  However, there is an exception to this: if the VIP is the same as
the physical interface IP address of the *master* router, then you will be
able to ping the VIP (effectively, you are pinging the physical interface
IP).  If the master goes down and the standby/backup router becomes master,
then you will *not* be able to ping the VIP (since it's not the same as the
master's physical interface IP anymore).

By configuring the VIP to be the same as your master router's physical
interface IP gives you some useful info during any fault diagnosis: if you
can ping the VIP, then there's been no switch of master router; if you
cannot ping the VIP, then the master router has switched over to your
standby/backup router.

With Cisco's HSRP, you can ping the VIP even though it is a different
address to the master's physical interface address.

Cheers,

Rob.