[nsp] multiple port monitoring - switch sought

Charles Spurgeon c.spurgeon at mail.utexas.edu
Thu Dec 11 11:18:39 EST 2003

 >The interesting question is: can you put a static mac destination for
 >a single mac to two different ports?

We got the 3550 to flood these four MAC addrs out multiple ports (six
so far), by statically configuring the MAC addrs onto the interfaces
that we want to use as monitoring ints. (We use vlan 2 to avoid
putting traffic on vlan 1 and overloading the switch CPU.)

Here's the config for one of the MAC addrs we flood:
mac-address-table static <mac addr 1> vlan 2 interface GigabitEthernet0/1
mac-address-table static <mac addr 1> vlan 2 interface GigabitEthernet0/2
mac-address-table static <mac addr 1> vlan 2 interface GigabitEthernet0/3
mac-address-table static <mac addr 1> vlan 2 interface GigabitEthernet0/5
mac-address-table static <mac addr 1> vlan 2 interface GigabitEthernet0/6
mac-address-table static <mac addr 1> vlan 2 interface GigabitEthernet0/11

 >I just tried this on a 3750G, and it doesn't work :-(
 >
 >3750G(config)#mac-address-table static 00:80:C8:26:7F:EF vlan 1 int gi1/0/10
 >3750G(config)#mac-address-table static 00:80:C8:26:7F:EF vlan 1 int gi1/0/11
 >MAC address could not be added
 >3750G(config)#

Yes, I see that in our lab 3750G as well. Actually, it seems to work
for one static MAC address entry to one interface, but not for the
same MAC addr to multiple interfaces. I tried it on the Sup720 with
the same results except that there is no error message thrown.

Looks like different switches have very different behavior WRT
handling multiple static MAC addr entries with the same MAC addr but
different dest interfaces.

-Charles