[nsp] Routing Problem: I am not sure where to begin.

Jim Devane jim at powerpulse.cc
Mon Dec 15 13:29:15 EST 2003

All,

I am having a routing problem that I don't know how to attack.

I have 2 12012's connect together by OC-48

Each 12012 in turn in connected by OC-3 to a Lucent DMX ADM. One OC-3 is
"working" and one is "protect"

Each of the OC-3's is connected downstream (through a SONET cloud) to a
customer and plugs into a 7206 VXR.

APS is configured on all the routers.

When I shut the "working" interface on one of the 12012's. The Protect
interface does go "up/up"  and a "sh controllers" show the correct SONET
info for the 7206. The 7206 does not see it's interface change and a "sh
controller" shows the new 12012 as being the downstream.

I believe that APS/SONET is working correctly.

However, when this situation happens I am not able to pass L3 traffic. No
pings, no BGP, NUTHIN'.

I check the cef adjacency and the routes. The adj is correct and the routes
are not learned since BGP goes down.

Worse, I am not able to ping the directly connected far end interfaces.
Meaning, I shut the working on GSR 02, APS switches over to GSR 01 and the
protect becomes active.

If I do a sh ip route for the 7206 ip ( a /30 on the GSR) it will say it is
directly connected out the correct interface.

If I so a sh ip route for the 7206 on the former active GSR it says to go to
GSR 01.

Everything *looks* Ok, but traffic is not being passed.

Any ideas at all? I am not sure where to start?

TIA,

Jim