[nsp] NetFlow and DoS attacks - tuning

Roland Dobbins rdobbins at cisco.com
Thu Dec 18 13:11:12 EST 2003

There's an open source project called Panoptis - I haven't worked with
it, myself, and am unsure of the development status:

http://panoptis.sourceforge.net/

Using the OSU flow-tools in conjunction with FlowScan (both open
source) yields a lot of valuable information, and that certainly can
indicate sudden increases (or decreases) in various types of traffic
which may be indicative of a DoS:

http://www.linuxgeek.org/netflow-howto.php

Any tool which provides visibility into traffic patterns (i.e., so one
has an idea of what's normal) certainly has an application in detecting
and characterizing DoS attacks.  Besides Arbor and Panoptis, I'm
unaware of any other tools which are specifically designed to use
NetFlow to detect and characterize DoS.