[nsp] Cisco 1700 IOS suggestion?

Bruce Pinsky bep at whack.org
Thu Dec 18 18:47:45 EST 2003

Gerald wrote:

|>Pretty wide open and broad set of requirements.
|

| I'm not picky. :-)
|

|>No mention of needed routing protocols for example.
|

| The business that I am setting this up for will only try to stress the
| router with their NAT rules. It will not be doing BGP/OSPF/etc. (I'm still
| teaching it how to dial at the moment, but that authentication problem
| will be a separate E-mail after I've exhausted all other resources.)
|

|>I'll assume that you want SSH for remote terminal access to the 1720
|>instead of telnet. I also included dial backup as you mention.
|>
|>If you want SSHv2 support, it doesn't seem to be there yet on the 1720.
|>If you can live with just SSHv1, you have a lot of choices.
|

| The Netopia it is replacing only has telnet. SSHv1 is an improvement.
|

|>Here is just a sample:
|>12.2(21)	IP PLUS IPSEC 3DES
|>c1700-k9sy-mz.12.2-21			32	8
|>
|>12.2(21)	IP PLUS IPSEC 56
|>c1700-k8sy-mz.12.2-21			32	8
|>
|>12.2(21)	IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES
|>c1700-k9o3sy-mz.12.2-21			32	8
|>
|>12.2(21)	IP/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 56
|>c1700-k8o3sy-mz.12.2-21			32	8
|>
|>12.2(21)	IP/IPX/AT/IBM/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 3DES
|>c1700-bk9no3r2sy-mz.12.2-21		48	8
|>
|>12.2(21)	IP/IPX/AT/IBM/FW/IDS PLUS IPSEC 56
|>c1700-bk8no3r2sy-mz.12.2-21		48	8
|

| Thanks for the suggestions. The router has 8 MB of flash so that knocked
| one more off my choice list from your suggestions. Another poster
| suggested an image that was actually lower than the one on it, so I think
| I will be narrowing from your list. (It has a 12.2 something image &
| Richard suggested a 12.0 something.)

12.0.nuttin is what supports SSHv1.  Your earliest major release that
supports SSHv1 is:

IP PLUS IPSEC 3DES	c1700-k2sy-mz.12.1-5.T16	32	8

|>I would recommend using the Feature Navigator function on cisco.com to
|>narrow it down to the features and platforms that you need in your
|>environment.  Check it out at
|>http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/jsp/index.jsp
|

| *sigh* The feature navigator. The feature navigator unfortunately is a
| computer program, and one setup by cisco at that. I have not had the best
| of experiences with it. It did get me down to I think just under 500
| suggestions of IOS that work with this router. I was able to further
| narrow it down by only having 8 MB of flash...then I turned to this list
| to hopefully be able to put in a: "This one works for me" which is what I
| needed to help finally settle on one.

Hmm, I wonder if you are referring to the Software Upgrade Planner and not
the Feature Navigator.  I find the SUP to be a bit more onorous than the FN.

| Sometimes I just want to take a map akin to
| http://kod.inch.com/pics/funny/03_800.jpg and throw a darts at it until I
| get one.  (jpg is from Juniper's site if anyone hasn't seen it before.)

Yeah, with around 1000 products and a myriad of IOS software branches that
support them, it can be very confusing.  It was much easier to choose when
cisco only had a few product lines like Juniper with only a few platforms
to support.  Unfortunately, those days passed us by nearly 10 years ago.
And you can see it start to happen at Juniper as well with the E, G1, G10
and M/T software releases.

- --
=========
bep