[nsp] AToM

Sergey V. Artjushkin skiv at caravan.ru
Tue Dec 23 05:42:20 EST 2003

> > But I had a problem with big packets between two PC that was connected
> > throught trunk port to my cisco devices.
>
> Keep in mind that MPLS normally requires at least 8 bytes extra, and
> EoMPLS has further encapsulation overhead.

I know about additional bytes because of VLAN and MPLS tags.
Let's count the maximum size of the packet.
One PC sending 1500 bytes to other PC.
When the packet arrives at the switch, switch adds 4 bytes VLAN tag.
When packet arrives at the PE router (6509/7401) it adds 8 bytes (2x4 bytes)
MPLS label tags. So total packet size is 1500 + 4 + 8 = 1512 bytes.
Right?
All input/output ports of the switches was configured with MTU=1540 bytes.
But big packets didn't reach remote PE.

--
With best regards.