[nsp] CEF routing bug?

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sat Feb 1 18:20:56 EST 2003

Hi,

On Sat, Feb 01, 2003 at 01:23:35PM +0100, sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:
> > Doing proxy arp, which is what you're doing (Router3 is answering
> > ARP requests for something that is not connected to the Ethernet)
> > will *always* cause problems and is, if unavoidable, a sure sign of a
> > bad network desing.
>
> Amen. We've had problems with proxy ARP lots of times. Wouldn't it be
> nice if IOS had proxy ARP turned *off* by default?

It seems to be part of the strategy "make sure that whatever the admin
configures, the network will work (if at all possible)".  Which is a
good thing for "edge networks", but can do quite some interesting things
if it starts interacting with dynamic routing and such...

gert

--
Gert Doering
Mobile communications ... right now writing from * Braunschweig *