[nsp] IP-EIGRP: Neighbor A.B.C.D not on common subnet...

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Sun Feb 2 11:17:50 EST 2003

> > > I suspect the root for the problem is EIGRP hello packets being
> > > multicast and the fact that the L2 switches (Catalyst XL
> > series in this
> > > case) flood multicast frames on all ports including ports from other
> > > Vlans.
> >
> > If they do that, it is a major bug.  Flooding MUST NOT spill over to
> > other broadcast domains.  NEVER.
>
> Well, it sure looks like this is what is happening, the port of the
> router sending the hello's is explicitly configured on Vlan4:
>
> interface FastEthernet0/33
>  description XXX
>  duplex full
>  speed 100
>  switchport access vlan 4
>  spanning-tree portfast
>
> while the port of the router complaining about the "Neighbor not on
> common subnet" (on an adjacent switch connected by trunk) is left on the
> Native VLAN (1):
>
> interface FastEthernet0/9
>  description XXX
>  duplex full
>  speed 100
>  spanning-tree portfast
>
> The trunk between the switches is a 4 port etherchannel with this config
> (VLAN 4 is not even allowed):
>
> interface FastEthernet0/45-48
>  description TRUNK
>  load-interval 30
>  duplex full
>  speed 100
>  port group 2
>  switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q
>  switchport trunk allowed vlan 1,400,1002-1005
>  switchport mode trunk
>
> Is anything wrong with the config or is it really Catalyst 3500XL flaw ?

Which IOS release are you running on the 3500XL? See

	http://online.securityfocus.com/archive/1/26008

for a description of how they got packets to hop from one VLAN to
another. Note:

- This specifically involves having one host on the same VLAN as the
"native"/default VLAN on an 802.1q trunk.

- I tried very hard to reproduce this problem with the same setup and
newer IOS versions (basically the latest IOS available IOS for 3500XL
as of about 6 months ago), and was unable to do so. I believe the
problem described by the SecurityFocus article has been fixed in newer
IOS versions.

In any case, it's generally a bad idea to use the "native"/default
VLAN on an 802.1q trunk for normal traffic. It's even better not to
have any "native"/default VLAN at all, meaning that *all* traffic on
an 802.1q trunk is tagged. This is possible in newer IOS versions for
3550 and 6500 with the

	vlan dot1q tag native

command. Not available on the 3500XL, as far as I know.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no