[nsp] MPLS & IPv6

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Mon Feb 3 10:04:24 EST 2003

On Mon, 2003-02-03 at 09:08, George Boulescu wrote:
> I was wondering if it is possible to have tag-switching and ipv6 enabled
> on the same interface.
>
> Anyone tried that ?

Yes. We now use it on production GSR's with 12.0(23)S1, and this works
just fine, at least on the linecards we have tested this (typically
those who can do dCEFv6, which is not yet all cards). Example from an
engine 0 single-port GigE on one of our boxes:

interface GigabitEthernet4/0
 description <XXX>
 mtu 4470
 ip address x.x.x.x 255.255.255.252
 no ip redirects
 no ip directed-broadcast
 no ip proxy-arp
 ip router isis <XXX>
 negotiation auto
 mpls traffic-eng tunnels
 ipv6 address X:X:X:X:X/64
 ipv6 router isis <XXX>
 ip rsvp bandwidth 600000 600000

We are doing RSVP-signalled tunnels through these core boxes, for
traffic between EoMPLS PE-routers (not Cisco), and native IPv4 and IPv6.
Haven't had a single problem yet, apart from the usual with Cisco and
IPv6. Not tried this on other platforms beside GSR yet, as Cisco for
some reason haven't gotten dCEFv6 for 7500 into 12.0S (although they
have it on 12.2T) or (a working) CEFv6 for 7200.

/leg