[nsp] 7206, forced upgrade

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Sat Feb 8 15:41:16 EST 2003

Hi,

I was planning on doing this after having a full understanding of what
I've got running (and why), but I'm being forced to consider a new
software load on a 7206.

I started pointing mrtg and cricket at the box early this week (this is a
new client, and I'm trying to get a feel for what exactly they have going
on), and this morning I found that about 70% of my snmp probes were timing
out and/or returning garbage information (responses were "UUUUU").  I am
now unable to ssh or telnet to the router.  Ssh hangs at the key exchange
and telnet eventually gives me a username prompt, but doesn't echo any
characters and then closes with at "Timeout exceeded" message.  The
cricket info I do have shows no abnormal cpu/mem usage, but pings to
interfaces on the box are sporadic/erratic.  BGP sessions are still up,
traffic is passing normally through the box.

Since I'm going in to reload, I figure I might as well make the most of my
trip by getting a new version of IOS on it.  Currently it's running
12.2(8)T5, which is probably my problem (I'm assuming my snmp stuff must
have tickled some sort of bug causing a memory leak/fragmentation).

Right now I'm looking at either the old 12.0S train or 12.2S.  Any
suggestions?  I'm leaning towards 12.2S, since I want RBE, which I do not
think is in 12.0S.

Currently I'm running BGP, OSPF, FE, ATM, Tunnels, and BVIs (for
adsl/sdsl).  I'd also like working snmp counters. :)

I'll be bringing both an image from each S train with me...

Thanks,

Charles

--
Charles Sprickman