[nsp] limits to CEF per-packet load sharing?

jlewis at lewis.org jlewis at lewis.org
Fri Feb 14 00:04:55 EST 2003

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Brian Wallingford wrote:

> :I've got a customer who wants 10 T1's (please, just don't ask :)
> :and we're pondering using MLPPP or CEF per-packet load sharing.
> :What's the most # of interfaces you've ever run CEF per-packet
> :load sharing, and seen it work well?
>
> How is this more cost-effective than simply doing rate-limited ds3?

It all depends on how the telco wants to screw you.  sometimes lots of T1s
are cheaper to install / MRC than a T3.

I think you'll find the limit for the max paths IOS will load share across
varies from release to release.  I know we're running some that max out at
6, and some at 8...and the default, IIRC, is 4.  If you're using OSPF (as
we are on our backbone) you'll have to raise the max-paths explicitly.  We
have one POP where we're about to run into the 8 T1 limit because a T3 is
just so much more expensive there than T1s.