[nsp] limits to CEF per-packet load sharing?

Vicky Mair vickyr at socal.rr.com
Fri Feb 14 09:36:30 EST 2003

hi there,

comments in-line:

-----Original Message-----
From: cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net
[mailto:cisco-nsp-bounces at puck.nether.net]On Behalf Of Brian Wallingford
Sent: Thursday, February 13, 2003 8:27 PM
To: Edward Henigin
Cc: cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net
Subject: Re: [nsp] limits to CEF per-packet load sharing?

On Thu, 13 Feb 2003, Edward Henigin wrote:

:Has anyone run into any limits over the number of interfaces that
:CEF per-packet load sharing will work?

This depends largely on your other loads, but:

:I've got a customer who wants 10 T1's (please, just don't ask :)
:and we're pondering using MLPPP or CEF per-packet load sharing.
:What's the most # of interfaces you've ever run CEF per-packet
:load sharing, and seen it work well?

How is this more cost-effective than simply doing rate-limited ds3?
-------------------
it depends. back in 2000 when we were planning, designing and implementing
mlppp, sub-rating was one of the option that we looked at and yes we could
have done it but the cost was not justified because the telco in US would
charge us (outrageous amount) to drop the pop into our facility. but our
counter part team in europe could sub-rate w/o paying for the pop and using
same telco provider :)

go figure.

regards,
/vicky