[nsp] Non-Cisco GBICS for 3500-6500 switches

Lars Erik Gullerud lerik at nolink.net
Fri Feb 14 19:58:55 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 18:39, Schonemann II, James R. wrote:
> Those of you that responded about 3rd party GBICs for Cisco switches.
> What brands worked and which ones didn't?  Also have you tried them in
> other switches besides the 3500s?

We use Agilent GBICs in 3500, 3550, and 6500 series switches, plus
several router linecards (GEIPs mostly, all our GSR cards have original
Cisco GBICs) with no problems whatsoever. But since it seems that most
of our original Cisco GBICs are in fact manufactured by Agilent (yes,
"Agilent" and their part number is printed on them below the big Cisco
logo), I suppose it shouldn't be too surprising that they work, despite
costing 1/3 or less of the branded ones...

/leg