[nsp] Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: [MPLS-OPS]: traceroute question

Yves at Fauser.de Yves at Fauser.de
Tue Feb 18 20:25:18 EST 2003

Hi,
it took me some time to answer because I had to build up a test bed first.
I did not want to do anything in the production network. I have some more
details now.
Here's what happens :

TTL=2 : -- The P Device sends the "icmp time exceeded" up the LSP to the
PE2 Device :
1d02h: TAG: GE3/1: recvd: CoS=0, TTL=1, Tag(s)=4114
1d02h: TAG: GE3/3: xmit: CoS=6, TTL=255, Tag(s)=4112
1d02h: ICMP: time exceeded (time to live) sent to 10.10.110.2 (dest was
10.10.90.1)
1d02h: TAG: GE3/1: recvd: CoS=0, TTL=1, Tag(s)=4114
1d02h: TAG: GE3/3: xmit: CoS=6, TTL=255, Tag(s)=4112
1d02h: ICMP: time exceeded (time to live) sent to 10.10.110.2 (dest was
10.10.90.1)
1d02h: TAG: GE3/1: recvd: CoS=0, TTL=1, Tag(s)=4114
1d02h: TAG: GE3/3: xmit: CoS=6, TTL=255, Tag(s)=4112
1d02h: ICMP: timeexceeded (time to live) sent to 10.10.110.2 (dest was
10.10.90.1)

TTL =3 : -- The PE Device sends the "icmp time exceeded" to the next-hop
of the static route (out of GE2/2.123) :
01:38:22: TAG: GE2/3: recvd: CoS=0, TTL=1, Tag(s)=4112
01:38:22: TAG: GE2/2.123: xmit: (no tag)
01:38:22: ICMP: time exceeded (time to live) sent to 10.10.110.2 (dest was
10.10.90.1)
01:38:27: TAG: GE2/3: recvd: CoS=0, TTL=1, Tag(s)=4112
01:38:27: TAG: GE2/2.123: xmit: (no tag)
01:38:27: ICMP: time exceeded (time to live) sent to 10.10.110.2 (dest was
10.10.90.1)
01:38:31: TAG: GE2/3: recvd: CoS=0, TTL=1, Tag(s)=4112
01:38:31: TAG: GE2/2.123: xmit: (no tag)
01:38:31: ICMP: time exceeded (time to live) sent to 10.10.110.2 (dest was
10.10.90.1)

Here's the Setup of the test bed :

Laptop -- 10.10.110.0/24 -- PE1 (c7204) ----- P (cat6509) ---- PE2
(cat6513) --10.10.90.0/24 --- Laptop (Fake CE router)  --- "non existend
subnet 10.10.90.0/24"

We have also put a Sniffer between the P and PE2, and we saw the pakets
send to PE2 by the P Device, but there was no debug output on PE2 for
that.
Still I'm not sure if this is what I should expect to see, or is there
something wrong here ?
Another thing which we found out in the test bed is, that there is a
difference between a static route pointing to an external (E2) network,
and an internal network.If we include the transit subnet to which the
static route is pointing to in the OSPF network command range, then PHP is
done on the P device. If we redistribute the transit subnet via
redistribute connected, no PHP is done. Is there any wider sense in doing
so ?

Cheers, Yves

"M. ELK" <elkou141061 at hotmail.com>
18.02.2003 14:22