[nsp] 7507 flash

HyunSeog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Thu Feb 20 10:47:40 EST 2003

I don't think you can combine two flash memory for large IOS image.
That's why Cisco took some features from new IOS to digest IOS size.
If flash disk is working on your platform, you can use flash disk, so called ATA
flash disk.
I see some benefit from ATA-flash-disk because you don't need to squeeze to free
deleted file space, but not cleaned from raw format itself.
But there might be compatability issue with platform.

So I usually use flash memory as primary boot device, and flash disk as a backup
storage.

Especially if you use RSP2, I don't want to try IOS image larger than flash
memory.
Of course, you can use 32 MB flash memory, which is MEM-RSP-FLC32M Cisco part
number.

I used SanDisk 128MB ATA flash disk with RSP4, and I don't see the problem so
far.
But it will be on your own risk for that.
Cisco started to list flash disk options from RSP8 model.

Cisco Geek Rotation wrote:

> If you have a 20 Meg IOS image (too large for a 20 Meg Flash card on an
> RSP2) what do you do?  Can you add another 20 Megs to the RSP and "stack"
> them to provide the capacity, or do you ahve to get a 32Meg card?
>
> Chris

* This does not represent Norlight Telecommunications, and
does only represent my humble opinion.

Hyunseog Ryu                   mailto:r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Senior Network Engineer/Applications Engineering
Norlight Telecommunications, Inc.
Living in Earth, and dreaming in the moon world.