[nsp] VIP6-80 comments?

HyunSeog Ryu r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Thu Feb 20 12:07:45 EST 2003

It works on limitted versions of IOS at this moment.
It only works on 12.0(22), 12.1(12)E, 12.2(13)T, or later.

I see only difference between VIP4-80 and VIP6-80 is VIP CPU.
VIP4-80 uses RM7000 250Mhz, and VIP6-80 uses RM7000 400Mhz.
Packet forwarding rate (PPS) looks same, and maximum bandwidth limitation is up
to 750MB.

According to Cisco, VIP6-80 shows 40% more performance than VIP4-80.
But it depends on your application, and configuration.

If you need stable environment, you can stick with VIP4-80, so you can have
broad choice for IOS selection.
But if you need those 40% more performance, you have to stick with VIP6-80 with
limited choice of IOS, I guess.

Hyun

Lauren Child wrote:

> Hiya,
>
> Has anyone had any experience of the VIP6-80?  They look nice and spiffy
> but Im wondering how they are in practice, as theres not a lot of real
> facts and figures about them out there.
>
> TTFN
> Lauren
>
> --
> Lauren Child        lauren.child at cogent-dsn.com

* This does not represent Norlight Telecommunications, and
does only represent my humble opinion.

Hyunseog Ryu                   mailto:r.hyunseog at ieee.org
Senior Network Engineer/Applications Engineering
Norlight Telecommunications, Inc.
Living in Earth, and dreaming in the moon world.