[nsp] maximum OSPF metric

Tom Holbrook tomhol at corp.earthlink.net
Thu Jan 9 16:16:11 EST 2003

Rainer-

Here's my understanding: Link costs for individual intra-area LSAs are
represented by a 16 bit unsigned integer which gives an upper bound of
2^16-1 (65535). The OSPF standard poses no limit on intra-area total path
metric, though metrics of inter-area summary and external paths are limited
by space in those LSAs of 24 bits, giving you max metric
2^24-1(16,777,215). Most implementations (including JunOS and IOS) are
using 32 bit unsigned for total path cost, which gives you 2^32-1
(4,294,967,295)

-Tom