[nsp] My Catalyst 2948G locked

sthaug at nethelp.no sthaug at nethelp.no
Fri Jan 10 14:08:19 EST 2003

> > We had lots of problems with our two 2948G-L3 boxes until we stopped
> > using them as L2 devices, and simply ran them as hardware speed routers.
> >
> > Thus our recommendation for these boxes is to remove anything L2, ie.
> > bridging, IRB and similar stuff.
> >
> > As pure L3 devices they have actually performed quite well - be we're
> > now in the process of replacing them with 3550s.
>
> Hmm.. so are you saying if you leave ports configured as switchports in the same
> vlan that is ok L2 but when you introduce a vlan or set them to bridgegroups the
> problems begin?

Not sure we're talking the same language here. The "switchport"
command doesn't exist on the 2948G-L3. Our interfaces are configured
either as pure L3 ports, eg.

interface FastEthernet4
 ip address a.b.c.d 255.255.255.240

or as VLAN trunks talking to an (L2) switch, with the IP addresses
on subinterfaces, eg.

interface GigabitEthernet50
 no ip address
!
interface GigabitEthernet50.2
 encapsulation isl 2
 ip address e.f.g.h 255.255.255.224

Thus this box only does L3 routing, no L2 bridging. And the "pure
L3" configuration has been the key to stability for us. YMMV.

Steinar Haug, Nethelp consulting, sthaug at nethelp.no