[nsp] L3 and Full BGP?

Pete Kruckenberg pete at kruckenberg.com
Sun Jan 19 16:48:34 EST 2003

On Sun, 19 Jan 2003 sthaug at nethelp.no wrote:

>> What is the smallest layer-3 gigabit switch that Cisco
>>> that supports at least a few full BGP views?
>
> Looks like a 4500 with SupIII (256 MB) or SupIV (512MB)
> should do the trick nicely. Certainly the 6500 does.

Cat 4000/4500 only supports 128,000 routes, so you will run
out of routing table space in 6-12 months.

I have found several other vendors who easily support full
BGP tables in boxes equivalent (price and configuration) to
3550. I spoke to the 3550 product team about this, and I
understand the 3550 will more fully support BGP in the
future.

Pete.
http://pete.kruckenberg.com/blog