[nsp] netflow active timeout

Oliver Boehmer (oboehmer) oboehmer at cisco.com
Wed Jan 22 16:40:34 EST 2003

Hi,

> I am looking for information or operational experience
> setting up netflow
> active timeout to 1 minute on the GSR platforms. IS anyone one doing
> this? What kind of CPU hit can we expect.

Wow, that low? Which Linecards are you using for netflow? Are you using
v5 or v8?
There are some figures at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/ntfo_wp.htm, but
they don't directly compare different export timeouts but rather show
the usage for different amounts of active flows.
When you reduce the active timeout, you'll reduce the number of active
flows but you'll need more CPU for generating and sending the addtl.
netflow packets. So I'd rather reduce the timeout gradually and watch
the CPU.
If you don't run v8 already you might want to consider it as it'll
reduce the number of exported packets..

my 2c.

	oli