[nsp] CEF routing bug?

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Wed Jan 29 18:33:03 EST 2003

Roy writes:
> I have two routers ("A" and "B") and both are directly connected to LAN
> "C" ( a /26 subnet) [...]
> For various reasons, I prefer the traffic on router "A" to go to LAN "C"
> via router "B".  I do this my entering more specific routes for LAN "C"
> pointing to router "B" (two route of /27).  This works fine until I turn
> on CEF.  When I do that, the direct connection is always used instead of
> the indirect routes.

I'm seeing similiar problems on two different routers - a 7206 with
12.2(7c) and a 7513 with 12.0(21)S1.  On one router, routes received
via OSPF or RIP do not override CEF when the CEF route is on a
FastEthernet interface.  On the other router, the dynamic routes are
used when the router is restarted, but if the dynamic routing
protocol drops the route and CEF takes over, we can't lose the CEF
route without rebooting the router again.