[nsp] dsl/dhcp question

Charles Sprickman spork at inch.com
Tue Jul 1 15:52:15 EDT 2003

On Mon, 30 Jun 2003, Siva Valliappan wrote:

> Hi Charles,
>
>    this is definitely possible.  you will need to enable option 82
> support on the router side.  what this does is that it fills in additional
> fields in the DHCP Discover packet that is proxied to the DHCP server.
> The server can then use the additional information to issue the same
> address if desired.  however, you will need to make changes to the
> DHCP server as well to make this happen.

That looks very interesting...  From a quick reading of the isc-dhcp docs
it seems this is possible using their dhcp server.  Now I need to find
a box for this...

> unfortunately i don't have a handy config sample for the DHCP server side.
> hope this helps you get started.

If anyone else has some examples for isc-dhcpd, that would be great.

So I'm imagining things if I thought the internal dhcp server could do
things based on what interface a request came from, right?

Thanks,

Charles