[nsp] "multi vlan"

Brian Wallingford brian at meganet.net
Wed Jul 2 01:10:52 EDT 2003

:> Scenario:
:>
:> Cisco 7206vxr -> Cisco 3524XL -> dumb l2 switch
:>
:> We've been running a bunch of simple (read, a single vlan on the 3524
:> trunked to a subif on the 7206)  vlans flawlessly for a number of years.
:>
:> Now, I need to use the same "dumb" l2 switch for two different vlans, from
:> two different subif's on the 7200.  Currently, I've got two crossconnects
:> from the 3500 to the dumb switch (one for each vlan), which is causing
:> annoying, though not service-affecting problems (Jul  1 22:44:44
:> edt: %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/6 relearning 5 addrs per min
:> Jul  1 22:45:44 edt: %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/6 relearning 6 addrs
:> per min
:> Jul  1 22:50:14 edt: %RTD-1-ADDR_FLAP: FastEthernet0/6 relearning 5 addrs
:> per min).
:>
:> Though performance is fine, this strikes me as sloppy.  I've tried using a
:> single crossconnect from the 3500 to the dumb switch, and "switchport
:> multi vlan [vlan1] [vlan2], but connectivity is lost.
:>
:> I'm probably missing something blatantly obvious.  A cluebat upside my
:> head would be most appreciated.
:
:This can't be done without cooperation from the dumb l2 switch.  Instead
:you should use one vlan and put a secondary address on the 7206
:subinterface.  Two networks - one vlan.  The other solution would be to
:buy a second dumb l2 switch.
:
:Spencer

Excellent - thanks so much.  The "other" solution was the initial plan,
but time constraints forced the current situation, at least temporarily.

cheers,
brian