[nsp] RE: Password recovery on a Switchprobe device

CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com CARL.P.HIRSCH at sargentlundy.com
Thu Jul 10 15:05:30 EDT 2003

Andy - This afternoon I  contacted Cisco's TAC and opened a case. The tech
prompted me for the MAC address of the Management Interface of the
switchprobe and was able to give me a password based on that info. I'm not
sure if the password was a hash based on the MAC address or is universal to
all probes of that model. Presumably you could get the same info from
Cisco's TAC, as long as you carry a service contract on some equipment and
can open a case.

I'm certain there's a password recovery technique for these devices
involving console connections and escape sequences during startup as I went
through this successfully about two years ago. I'm wondering if the
relevant document wasn't lost in Cisco's site redesign.

-carl

                      Andy Cranston
                      <a.cranston at selwaymoor        To:       "'cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net'" <cisco-nsp at puck.nether.net>
                      e.com>                        cc:
                      Sent by:                      Subject:  [nsp] RE: Password recovery on a Switchprobe device
                      cisco-nsp-bounces at puck
                      .nether.net

                      07/09/03 05:21 AM

On Friday the 9th of May 2003 Carl P Hirsch sent the following message to
the cisco-nsp list:

>I'm looking to find a way to recover the password on a Switchprobe or set
>it to its factory defaults. My CCO searches are coming up short - can
>anybody point me to the proper instructions for recovering/resetting the
>password? I can hunt up the model number if it's germane, but I know the
>device has one management interface and two 100/half duplex monitoring
>interfaces.
>
>thanks,
>-carl

I have inherited a Switchprobe and also need to recover the password which
has been set on it by the previous owner.  I searched the archives for a
response to Carl's question but could not find any.  If anybody sent Carl a
solution by private email I'd be very grateful to receive a copy of it.

Many thanks in advance.

Regards,

Andy Cranston.

** Please note our new address for all correspondence and deliveries: **
   Selway Moore House   169 Basingstoke Road    Reading    RG2 0DY

   Selway Moore Solutions      t +44(0)118 903 7907 f +44(0)118 903 7908
   Selway Moore Limited
     Recycle division sales    t +44(0)118 903 7903 f +44(0)118 903 7904
     Corporate and admin       t +44(0)118 903 7900 f +44(0)118 903 7901

For our latest news http://www.selwaymoore.com/modules/news/index.cfm
This message has been checked for all known viruses by the Selway Moore
scanning service powered by MessageLabs.  For further information and
statistics on current viruses visit http://www.messagelabs.com/stats.asp