[nsp] NPE-G1 under 12.0S

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sun Jul 13 17:43:58 EDT 2003

On Sun, Jul 13, 2003 at 10:34:31PM +0200, Daniel Roesen wrote:
> On Fri, Jul 11, 2003 at 10:03:31PM +0200, Gert Doering wrote:
> > Why on earth is there support for IPv6 in 12.0S for GSR, but not for
> > 7200 and 7500?
>
> GSR = usually core routers, ISPs don't tend to put their core on
> jeopardy by using experimental IOS versions.
>
> This looks like "try to get customers use 12.2S on 7x00 edge boxes,
> but allow them to forward IPv6 in the GSR core on 12.0S".

	You are missing the point.

	12.2S does not have OSPFv3 support.

	12.0S on the GSR does I believe.

	This means if you want to run a SP image on
your 7200s and 7500s to bring IPv6 to your customers,
you can't use ospfv3 and must use IS-IS.

	This had made no sense and i've asked the 12.0S people
about this as well as the 12.2S people.

	The only thing I can say is that the "next release" of
12.2S is to have OSPFv3 support.  But it won't have any of the
SNMP mib enhancements (as of currently) that you will seee
in 12.0(26)S for ability to get the # of routes received from
a peer.  If you care about this feature, I suggest complaining
loudly that Cisco might be customer driven on this feature path.

	It seems like there is a lot of demand for OSPFv3 and
the BGP SNMP mib support (as there have been many questions over the
years about it here on this list).  It would seem that Cisco should
be able to provide an image with both these features since they
are already coded.

> > Why is there no support for GSR at all in 12.2S?
>
> Because people hesitate of experimenting with their core anyway? :-)

	It's my understanding that the GSR team is lagging behind in
commiting support for their hardware into 12.2S for one reason or
another.

	This sure causes problems for those of us that want to
run some sort of consistent feature set on our networks yet have
access to native IPv6.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net