[nsp] switch default gateway question

gab.seun jones.ewulomi seun_ewulomi at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 14 16:39:23 EDT 2003

Hi Scooty,

Let me explain actually why I asked the question.

We are renumbering our ip addresses to a private 10 network.

We have a core router in which all our switches point their default gateway
to.

The swithes are all going to be re-numbered to a 10.20/16 range and will
have to point to the new default gateway of 10.100.50.1/16(core router new
address)

currently the switches are on a 11/8 range and point to a the default
gateway 11.100.50.1/8(current core router address)

Now what I have to do is to reflect the core router to this change.

What is the best way to approach this.

This is what I think. But I think the diffrent bit mask between the old and
new ip address might be a problem. By the way the routing table is all
static

1)configure the switches with another default gateway pointing to the
10.100.50.1/16 the 11.100.50.1/8 will be the primary
2)create a secondary address on the core router for the new ip address
10.100.50.1/16
3)on our remote site routers create a floating static entry pointing to the
new default GW 10.100.50.1/16. (Then remove old route when all is well later
on)
4)slowly start migrating the PC's on each lan to be pointing to the
10.100.50.1/16 GW

Is there a better way to approach this scenario?

please any help and advice will be greatly appreciated

regards,
seun