[nsp] While where on the topic of 6500 series.

dre andre at operations.net
Tue Jul 15 17:16:13 EDT 2003

On Tue, Jul 15, 2003 at 05:43:06PM -0500, Robert A. Hayden wrote:
> I've found hybrid much better if you are using the 6500 to do a lot of
> switching on the device.  You simply trunk a VLAN to port 15/1 to get it
> to the "router" side of the switch and then build your vlan interface
> there if need be.  Mostly I find CatOS a better interface for Layer2
> management than IOS.
>
> If you are doing mostly routing on the device, then hybrid mode is
> probably more headache than you need.

I agree with these sentiments.. CatOS+MSFC IOS "hybrid" is easier to
manage if doing mostly switching and SupIOS "native" is easer for
all routing tasks.  MPLS is "routing" not "switching" in this one case.

It's probably best to use the Feature Navigator / Software Advisor
on Cisco's website and determine if you need CatOS vs. SupIOS.  This
will become more important as Cisco moves very new (future) layer-3
services into SupIOS only...however CatOS will be supported on current
day technology for quite a long time from now....

dre