[nsp] BGP tweaking possibility

Eric Osborne eosborne at cisco.com
Wed Jul 16 15:11:06 EDT 2003

On Wed, Jul 16, 2003 at 01:50:13PM -0400, Tony Tauber wrote:
> On Wed, 16 Jul 2003, Gerald wrote:
>
> > > Very true.  There's no mechanism to cut traffic up by volume.  The
> > > best you'll be able to do is trial and error unless you get into
> > > some kinky netflow stuff.  Even then, you're making a config based
> > > on some statistics, not causing the router to make a decision
> > > based on load.
> >
> > That's kind of the automated version of what we are currently doing.
> > MRTG + modifying route prefs & prepends.
>
> Just to clarify, what I was talking about was not automated.
> It's possible with Netflow to pull out info about traffic flows
> broken down by AS number.  You still have to decide what config might
> get you what you want through local-pref and prepends to pack the
> traffic "chunks" to achieve the desired effect.
>
> > > You might do better to take both transit and non-transit routes
> > > and depreference the transit ones so they're only used in case of
> > > a failure of the preferred path.
> >
> > My understanding of that is if one of the ISP's changes their
> > network slightly after I put that in place, that could throw off my
> > fine tuning.  I'm hoping to make it an internal router decision
> > based on bandwidth.
>
> That's right.  I don't know of a way on Cisco (which is not to say
> there isn't one) to make a decision based on bandwidth.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a008012db46.html
(BGP Link Bandwidth)

might help in some (although certainly not all) situations.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/partner/products/sw/iosswrel/ps1829/products_feature_guide09186a008012ee22.html
(BGP Cost Community)

may also help, depending on whether you want load-sharing or a
cost-based tie-breaker.

eric