[nsp] BGP traffic engineering, QOS

Vusi Ndebele vusi at mandebele.com
Thu Jul 17 05:10:04 EDT 2003

A bit of advice of advice sought from clued cisco bods out there.

I have a requirement to  offer customers connections with QOS. We will be taking transit from 2 or more providers running BGP. 1 provider will advertise only local routes (their network and other routes from national peering point) and the other, the full routing table. I need to be able to sell customer separate CIR for local routes and international transit. so eg 2MB local transit with 64k of international transit. I would like to know if anybody has tried this before.
The cutomers are conected by LAN extention or wireless and connect into a 2948G-L3 switch. The links to transit providers are LAN extentions (ethernet) and serial (x21) terminated on a 3600. There is a small budget for new kit as proof of concept and a larger budget when things are up and running. I would be interested in ideas for the configuration on existing kit, and recommendations for other capable equipment and protocols eg MPLS.
I hope i have explained the proposal satisfactorily. I look forward to your responses.

Vusi