[nsp] Cisco Advisory apply to L2 only devices?

Dennis Peng dpeng at cisco.com
Thu Jul 17 15:56:29 EDT 2003

Devon True [devon at noved.org] wrote:
> All:
>
> Quick simple question. :) Does the recent Cisco security advisory about
> the IPv4 packets apply to devices doing only L2 switching? Reading the
> advisory, I assume so since it lists the 2900XL series and says "Cisco
> IOS". However, the PHB wants a definite answer.

The bridging/switching functions will not be affected, however if
there is a management/VLAN interface, that can be wedged and then you
won't have remote access to the box anymore.

> I would call Cisco, but I don't want to burden their TAC any more then
> necessary.

That's a little too considerate. :) It is our responsibility to answer
your questions, so please don't hesitate.

Dennis