[nsp] Cisco Advisory apply to L2 only devices?

Jim Duncan jnduncan at cisco.com
Thu Jul 17 19:11:39 EDT 2003

Devon True writes:
> Quick simple question. :) Does the recent Cisco security advisory about
> the IPv4 packets apply to devices doing only L2 switching? Reading the
> advisory, I assume so since it lists the 2900XL series and says "Cisco
> IOS". However, the PHB wants a definite answer.
>
> I would call Cisco, but I don't want to burden their TAC any more then
> necessary.

This is an L3 problem, not L2.

The vulnerability only affects devices running IOS, so Catalyst switches
are affected only _if_ they are running IOS.  If the switches are
running CatOS _without_ IOS, then they are _not_ affected.

All 2900XLs run IOS by design.  Some other Catalyst switches do not.

Hope this helps.

	Jim

==
Jim Duncan, Critical Infrastructure Assurance Group, Cisco Systems, Inc.
jnduncan at cisco.com, +1 919 392 6209, http://www.cisco.com/go/ciag/.
PGP: DSS 4096/1024 E09E EA55 DA28 1399 75EB D6A2 7092 9A9C 6DC3 1821