[nsp] VTY ACL

Rick Burts r.burts at earthlink.net
Sun Jul 20 23:19:42 EDT 2003

Damien

I think you will find it much easier to accomplish what you want with a
standard access list.

As someone else pointed out, be very careful with in and out when you
apply access-class.

I went through the exercise of access-class with extended access lists
a long time ago, got it to work, and do not know if the behavior of IOS
has changed (so may or may not still be the case, but I guess it still
works). What I found was the key in getting extended access lists
to work was specifying the source address as 0.0.0.0. I was really
puzzled at that till I thought about it a while. The access-class out
is working when the vty session wants to go somewhere outside, at the
vty it knows where it wants to go but does not yet know which interface
it will use to get there, so it cannot know what the source address
will be.

I think you can get extended access lists to work with access-class,
but why would you want to use a more complex solution when a simple
solution is available?

Rick