[nsp] arp table size on 7206/npe-300 and ethernet over ds3

Mark Kent mark at noc.mainstreet.net
Tue Jun 3 13:15:20 EDT 2003

Hello,

I've got two flat LANs, separated by about 20 miles with
7206/npe-300 routers in between.  Each side has about 5000
active ARP entries.  Each side has full Internet access.
We currently route between the two sites with a DS3.

We're thinking of directly connecting the switches,
rather than the routers.  That is, we'ld go from this:

   {servers}                 {servers}
     |                           |
   [switch]                   [switch]
     |                          |
   [c7206]--------ds3---------[c7206]
     |                          |
   {Internet}                 {Internet}

to this

   {servers}                 {servers}
     |                           |
   [switch]--------ds3--------[switch]
     |                          |
   [c7206]                    [c7206]
     |                          |
   {Internet}                 {Internet}

This would double the size of the ARP table on both routers from 5,000
each to 10,000 each.  Should this cause problems?

And, I'ld appreciate any recommendations for equipment that we can put
on each end of the DS3 that spits out a full duplex fast ethernet
(an upgrade path to dual ds3 would be nice).

I know that this is roughly what the old NetEdge boxes did in the
MAE-East/West scenario, but I'ld rather not pay the ATM tax between
the two sites.

Thanks,
-mark