[nsp] Max eBGP sessions

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Mon Jun 9 21:55:31 EDT 2003

Hi,

On Mon, Jun 09, 2003 at 11:33:05AM -0700, Jim Devane wrote:
> Again, I am only trying to get a ballpark figure to see if it matches
> with what I have in my head already. I am thinking the most would
> probably be about 40.

It very much depends on what those people announce to you.  A typical
exchange point router has much more than 40 eBGP sessions (our
7204/NPE-225 at DECIX has about 90 eBGP and about 6 iBGP sessions),
but will not receive full tables from any of the eBGP peers.

With full tables, 5-6 eBGP peers can already be "over limit", depending
on the update frequency, etc.

> Is there a way that I could stretch this? Is 40 too low? Too high? I am
> thinking that I would run into a barrier on the CPU rather than memory.

This very much depends on the number of prefixes that you send, the number
that you receive, and the number of overall updates (= instability in the
peer networks).

With a NPE-G1 and 512 Mb RAM, well over a hundred eBGP peers with only a
few routes each should be easily doable (using peer-groups, of course)...

gert
                                                           //www.muc.de/~gert/
fax: +49-89-35655025                        gert.doering at physik.tu-muenchen.de