[nsp] SAA really a true measure?

Paul Kohler pkohler at cisco.com
Fri Jun 13 12:38:04 EDT 2003

inline

At 10:08 AM 6/13/2003, jeff.marsh at shaw.ca wrote:
> >From the "Re: [nsp] intermitten ping lags on 7500/rsp4/256M" discussion,
> Dmitri Kalintsev wrote:
>
> > ...but, at much closer look, quite useless. ;) Routers are there
> > to *route*
> > packets, not to reply to ICMP queries. That is why ICMP processing
> > is given
> > such a low priority (and not only by Cisco).
> >
> > If somebody needs to measure their network characteristics *so* badly,
> > there's always Cisco SAA which seems to be part of almost
> > everything Cisco
> > has nowdays that runs IOS (no, I didn't look at fn, because I'm
> > stubborn and
> > lazy).
>
>But does SAA really provide a true measure - with what type of priority do
>the routers respond to SAA queries? - obviously if SAA is used with only
>ICMP (ie without using the SAA responder) the measurements are going to be
>pretty much useless because of the low priority on ICMP processing...

to factor our the majority of the processing time on your source and
destination devices run SAA UDP Jitter or UDP Echo operations. As mentioned
you need to enable "rtr responder" on the destination device. If the
destination device is not a Cisco box then use UDP Echo and at least you'll
have the majority of the source processing time factored out. There's a
paper on this at
http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/cc/pd/iosw/prodlit/sanpo_wp.htm

Paul