[nsp] H.323 Resource Look Ahead

Andy Melton andy at meltons.net
Mon Jun 16 11:40:17 EDT 2003

In the case of a terminating gateway, what have people found is the most
effective way to control inbound traffic.  i.e., a single gateway, with
a 2 Mbps IP connection and 4xE1 TDM trunks to the local telco, I want to
restrict originating gateways from sending traffic when either the IP
bandwidth is fully utilized, or there are no spare DS0/DSP resources.

I understand that using RAI, I can send a message to originating
gatekeepers that resources are low and to avoid transferring calls, but
what options exist for gateway to gateway exchanges?  Can I require the
originating gateway to perform a 'resource check' before sending the
call?  Essentially, I'm trying to avoid flooding the terminating gateway
with more calls than it can handle and degrading the ASR.

Thanks.